Friday, December 17, 2010

Middle age crisis or is it

I remember back to being a kid when all the camaro's, trans ams and so on were around. I personally had a 1982 Firebird for my first car and loved it. The air conditioner didn't work in it, but it was a great car. Only problem I had with it was when I was living with an aunt of mine. I had borrowed my cousins 70's model Bronco to go hunting and left my Firebird for him to drive while I was gone. I came home and went to get in my car to leave. Pushed in the clutch and put it in gear to go and it wouldn't go. Being car stupid I had no way of knowing what was wrong and kept trying. Then I see my cousin laughing. As it turns out some how he shattered the spider gears in the rear end.

I had to call my dad and tell him what happened. Keep in mind at the time my parents were paying for my brother's fraternity living as well as me living with an aunt. They were tight on money at the time and really didn't have alot of money to repair my car. Luckily my cousin was friends with a mechanic who agreed to fix the car on the side away from his day job. My dad bought a rearend out of a junkyard off a camaro. The car was repaired, but due to it being different gears the speedometer was off alot. Also the car didn't seem to have the power that it had before. Man, I miss that car. Later my dad bought me a brand new 1992 Camaro for a graduation present. Needless to say I only drove that car for about a month and realized the insurance payments were going to kill me so my parents decided it would be best to trade that car back in for a new pickup. I was really into hunting and fishing at the time and was probably the best decision I made at that age.

Now, for some reason I have really taken an interest in cars. I don't know how to repair them, but am determined to learn. I have been back and forth with what to get. Everything from a Jeep to a car. Not really interested in getting another truck. Sure they are handy when you need them, but looking back I don't think I have actually used any of my trucks, but a few times. I don't know why I have reached this point in my life, maybe it's a middle age crisis. I have always wanted a classic car of some kind, but yet I don't because I don't know how to work on cars and don't want the expense of having to take it to a mechanic. I sold a basically brand new truck I bought off the dealer lot with 0 miles on it. It was 1.5 years old with 7000 miles on it when I sold it. Part of the sale was also a 1999 Ford Explorer. It has 100,000 miles on it and is starting to need some repair work. I have also been looking around at other used cars. I have found a 1979 Camaro that I want really bad. I don't want a trailer queen. I want a car that I can drive from time to time, but will mostly sit in the garage. Just want to fix it up and get into going to car shows with my wife and kids. We need to do more as a family and feel this will be a way for us to be together as well as meet new people. We haven't really had any friends since we got married and have always just had each other. That is not how we want it to be it is just we have always just put more into us that we have meeting people. We are ready to find people to hang out with and have similar interests. My wife really wants a old Mustang Fastback, but I don't think she realizes what one costs. They don't give those away. So wish me luck in my quest to learn some auto repair and possible some paint and body. All I need is a breakthrough with my digestive problem and to get back to work and we will be on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment